Best method for managing folders of images

Get answers about using the current release of EazyFlixPix.
QuantumBeep

Best method for managing folders of images

Postby QuantumBeep » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:24 am

Hi! I am having a usability problem that makes me suspect that I'm using EZFP wrongly.

My goal is to manage my image collection at a granularity of entire folders of images (tagging, moving, deleting). Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding a good workflow for doing this.

Tagging:
It seems that metadata doesn't apply to a directory, as an entity, and tagging a directory is more like a shortcut for tagging every image inside that directory. What this means is that if I search for a tag, instead of getting the directory, I get the images inside (individually).

Moving:
EZFP doesn't seem to expose a method for moving folders of things, which would normally not be a big problem - I can just use the handy context menu shortcut to launch Explorer at that location and do the folder move by hand. The problem is that (naturally) this breaks metadata for the files (and does something really wacky with thumbnail indices - all thumbnails generated subsequently in that session will be replaced with the thumbnails of contents of the folder I moved).

In general, am I missing something significant with regards to using EZFP to manage folders of images?

admineazymojo
Site Admin

Re: Best method for managing folders of images

Postby admineazymojo » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:03 am

QuantumBeep wrote:Tagging:
It seems that metadata doesn't apply to a directory, as an entity, and tagging a directory is more like a shortcut for tagging every image inside that directory. What this means is that if I search for a tag, instead of getting the directory, I get the images inside (individually).

Yes, if you add a tag to a folder and then you search for that tag, it will return the images in that folder...meaning it won't take you to the folder view, it takes you to the image view. It does that because the assumption is that you're trying to get at the images, not the folder. If you've tagged multiple folders with the same tag and do a search, you'll get all the images in all those folders. But once you're in the image view, you can open the filters and there's a folder dropdown where you can filter by a specific folder.

There is an open request to show the folder view instead of the image view which I'm considering doing.

QuantumBeep wrote:Moving:
EZFP doesn't seem to expose a method for moving folders of things, which would normally not be a big problem - I can just use the handy context menu shortcut to launch Explorer at that location and do the folder move by hand. The problem is that (naturally) this breaks metadata for the files (and does something really wacky with thumbnail indices - all thumbnails generated subsequently in that session will be replaced with the thumbnails of contents of the folder I moved).

Right now, you can move images, you can't move folders...although that's something I'm going to look into doing also.

So there are a couple of ways to accomplish what you're describing:
  • If you have just a simple folder with images, you can navigate to the image view in EZFP, select them all, cut them, navigate to the other folder and paste them. If you want to create a new folder, you can also do that in EZFP by using the Add Folder option, then select the folder where you want to add a new sub-folder and click the Create Folder button. Create the new folder, navigate to it in EZFP and paste the images. Doing this in EZFP will ensure that all the tags, etc are copied/pasted correctly.
  • If you have a more complex folder structure with many sub-folders that you want moved, you can move them outside of EZFP in Explorer as you described. Then you can use the Folder Maintenance tool in EZFP to update folder paths choosing the old folder and the new folder. This will also ensure all the tags etc are updated correctly.
And as I said, once I add the folder move functionality, that should make this process much easier.

Return to “Need Help?”