re: Mutli-files Movies Represented as a Singular Database Entry (Warning: Long Read)

Any ideas about how to improve EazyFlixPix? Let us know!
Sonny Chiba

re: Mutli-files Movies Represented as a Singular Database Entry (Warning: Long Read)

Postby Sonny Chiba » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:47 pm

Firstly, my apologies for the wall of text. Secondly, very cool program. Thirdly, sorry if I use the incorrect nomenclature when describing features of EazyFlixPix and if there is a solution to my perceived issues that I may have overlooked in the forum.

I bought a license immediately based on it's impressive flexibility and support even though I'm not sure if I can get it to fit all my needs.

Here it goes:
I'm trying to use EazyFlixPix to manage and view my movie collection that is currently organized by folder (i.e. MovieTitle/MovieTitle.mp4).

I am trying to figure out if I can get EazyFlixPix to fit my particular needs for a really big movie collection.

The problem I keep running into with most media managers/players/software (Plex, Kodi, etc) is multi-file videos stored in a singular folder and having that folder be represented as a single entity in the database.

In some instances, the extra files are from a DVD/Blu Ray rip (featurettes, deleted scenes, etc)

In other instances, the movie is broken up into multiple parts (MovieTitle_Disk1.mp4, MovieTitle_Disk2.mp4, etc).

To be clear, I want to choose which files to playback within that folder; I do not want them to play as one joined file.

As I currently understand it (with my admittedly limited knowledge), EazyFlixPix can scrape metadata information perfectly when the movie is a single file. The file can import metadata (it has a 'import info' buttton) and is represented with the movie cover as it's thumbnail, associating that file with cast info, studio, etc. This seems to be a single file-based approach and appears to suit most everyone's needs.

I'm trying my best to not appear like a choosy beggar here, but I want to have the folder to have the 'import info' ability and be represented by not only that movie cover thumbnail but it's related metadata in the database as well. For example, if I wanted to select movies that have an actor in common or certain keyword in the title, it would display the corresponding movie folders represented by their thumbnails. I could then go into the respective folder and choose which files I wanted to playback.

I understand this may be fundamentally impossible (or a giant PITA) and that is why it's never addressed in other software applications, beyond the usual trope of 'you really need to join the parts of the file into one file'.

As a side-note, one of the ways I have seen multi-file movies represented as a single entry (in a now defunct media management program, Extreme Movie Manager) has been to address it during the import process. The import process would do it's best to group the files by parsing the filename suffix (i.e. MovieTitle_Disk1.mp4, MovieTitle_Disk2.mp4) and/or one could select them manually and identify the multiple files as being part of the same movie. Additionally, one could also tell the software to do other things like use the folder name as the database movie title as opposed to the filenames of the video clips, but I digress.

Sorry for the long read.

I'm happily using this software for viewing non-movie related videos (that don't require metadata scraping) and find it totally functional and unique.

I'm just wondering it I can get it to be my holy grail of media management software.

Thanks again for your time, software, and help. Please let me know if I can be more precise or clear in my descriptions.

Best regards for the New Year!

admineazymojo
Site Admin

Re: re: Mutli-files Movies Represented as a Singular Database Entry (Warning: Long Read)

Postby admineazymojo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Sonny Chiba wrote:I'm trying my best to not appear like a choosy beggar here, but I want to have the folder to have the 'import info' ability and be represented by not only that movie cover thumbnail but it's related metadata in the database as well. For example, if I wanted to select movies that have an actor in common or certain keyword in the title, it would display the corresponding movie folders represented by their thumbnails. I could then go into the respective folder and choose which files I wanted to playback.

I don't quite understand this... Currently if you do a search for an actor, you get all movies which star that actor. These movies could be across multiple folders, but you see all the movies in one view. From there, you can choose which movies you want to playback. It sounds like you want to search for an actor and see the folder view instead, then go into each folder and play the movies, is that correct? Other than it displaying the folder view, why would you want to do this? Unless I'm missing something, it sounds like an extra step.

There was a wishlist request to return the higher level folder view when doing a search, so as a quick workaround, I added a Folder dropdown to the filters to allow you to filter those movies by folder. Yes, with some work, it's possible to show the results at the higher level folder view, but again, it just seems like adding an extra step if all you're going to do is drill into the folder.

Sonny Chiba

Re: re: Mutli-files Movies Represented as a Singular Database Entry (Warning: Long Read)

Postby Sonny Chiba » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:49 am

Hello, thanks for taking the time to consider my question.

The reason why I want to have the folder view returned after a search has to do mainly with how cast info and metadata is currently added as tags to individual video files instead of being able to associate that metadata with the entire contents of a movie folder.

For example, it's my understanding (after running some tests with the software) that when I have a movie folder filled with multiple related video files (let's say at least 5 extra video files) and I want all of those items to be displayed in the results after searching by cast member, I need to first go through the process of 'download video information' for each video file in that folder (in order to get the cast added as tags) to ensure that all of those extra video files are returned in my search results.

Not only is it a lot work to do to add metadata tags to every file within every folder, but the search results afterwards are a bit of a mess when it returns all of the extras from all of the movie folders that are returned for that actor.

Relatedly, as it now stands, if I want that movie folder to be represented by the movie's downloaded cover image thumbnail, I have to copy/paste it from one of the video files inside that folder after downloading the video information for that video file (which I really don't like to do, since I actually like the individual files to be represented by a thumbnail automatically created from the video file - yet another step).

If there was a 'download video information' button for the movie folder instead of the individual file, the benefits would be twofold:

1) it would save a lot of time when adding the metadata since I wouldn't have to 'download video information' to every file, in every movie folder, and
2) the thumbnail cover image could be used to represent the movie folder in the display (without having to do the copy/paste steps mentioned above) - which would also clean up the mess of individual files when returning search results.

I hope that makes sense. Please continue to ask for clarification if unclear. And I'll be the first to admit a lack of understanding of the best practices for using EazyFlixPix with a folder based movie collection.

I also realize that this program can't possibly be all things, to all people.

I am amazed looking back at all the changelogs, how much this program has evolved- not only from your hard work, but by you listening to the seemingly endless suggestions provided by us pesky end-users. ;-)

Thanks for listening.

admineazymojo
Site Admin

Postby admineazymojo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:41 am

Sonny Chiba wrote:For example, it's my understanding (after running some tests with the software) that when I have a movie folder filled with multiple related video files (let's say at least 5 extra video files) and I want all of those items to be displayed in the results after searching by cast member, I need to first go through the process of 'download video information' for each video file in that folder (in order to get the cast added as tags) to ensure that all of those extra video files are returned in my search results.

You can assign cast/tags at the folder level so technically, you don't have to download info at all, just assign the cast to the folder. You can also copy tags from a movie (using the right-click Tags menu) and paste them at the folder level.

Sonny Chiba wrote:If there was a 'download video information' button for the movie folder instead of the individual file, the benefits would be twofold:
1) it would save a lot of time when adding the metadata since I wouldn't have to 'download video information' to every file, in every movie folder, and
2) the thumbnail cover image could be used to represent the movie folder in the display (without having to do the copy/paste steps mentioned above) - which would also clean up the mess of individual files when returning search results.

Yes, I see how this would eliminate what you have to do above. However, if the folder has many different unrelated videos, it will have to prompt you to select a video first so it knows which info to download.

Sonny Chiba

Postby Sonny Chiba » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Thanks for the comments and engaging me further- I tried some of the things you mentioned with limited success, but will continue familiarizing myself with the software going forward.

You can assign cast/tags at the folder level so technically, you don't have to download info at all, just assign the cast to the folder.

Not sure I follow here- I could be misunderstanding your response. I don't know who the cast is for most movies, that's why I'm using the scraping function in the first place. I love automating as much of the scraping and tagging process as possible.

However, if the folder has many different unrelated videos, it will have to prompt you to select a video first so it knows which info to download.

In this scenario, everything in the folder is related. Ideally, the scraper would parse the title of the movie from the folder name.

Thanks again for your time.

admineazymojo
Site Admin

Postby admineazymojo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:42 pm

Sonny Chiba wrote:Thanks for the comments and engaging me further- I tried some of the things you mentioned with limited success, but will continue familiarizing myself with the software going forward.

You can assign cast/tags at the folder level so technically, you don't have to download info at all, just assign the cast to the folder.

Not sure I follow here- I could be misunderstanding your response. I don't know who the cast is for most movies, that's why I'm using the scraping function in the first place. I love automating as much of the scraping and tagging process as possible.

Good point.

Sonny Chiba wrote:
However, if the folder has many different unrelated videos, it will have to prompt you to select a video first so it knows which info to download.

In this scenario, everything in the folder is related. Ideally, the scraper would parse the title of the movie from the folder name.

Thanks again for your time.

Yes, that sounds like the best way, instead of prompting for a movie selection...which could be hundreds in the folder...it'll just use the folder name and do a search based on that, then you can refine it if you need to in the search popup to find the exact video.

Sonny Chiba

Postby Sonny Chiba » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:43 am

Thank you for adding this feature in the latest update- bought another license in gratitude for your efforts.

It seems to work well in my initial tests.

Just a few followup questions/comments:

1) In search results based on cast (or really any tag), is there a way for them to show up as folders instead of all the individual files? Not a dealbreaker, but it would help sort the results more cleanly.
2) I have a few adult titles in the mix and when using IAFD to download video information on a folder, it will only grab the front cover; when I perform the same task on an individual file, it will add both the front and back cover to the Media Art (if available). Can that be done at the folder level?

That's all I can think of at the moment- can't wait to dive deeper into the software.

Thanks again for your efforts, I really appreciate it.

Return to “EazyFlixPix Wishlist”